- 5 days
- 3 x 2 day weekends
Recommended Previous Experience:
- 5 days, 100 miles, 4 hours night watch keeping or
- RYA Competent crew course or
- YA Keelboat - Start Crewing, Start Helming, Start Skippering, our ``online`` RYA Essential Navigation & Seamanship course and RYA Day Skipper Shore based Theory course.
- Essential Navigation and Seamanship. It is recommended that you attend our Day Skipper shore based course before taking this practical course.
Ability after course:
- By the end of the course you should be able to skipper a small yacht in familiar waters.
- Pilotage, boat handling, seamanship and navigation
Skippering for the first time is an exhilarating experience. This course is designed to teach you to be the “Skipper” or take charge . The skipper is responsible for the safety of the yacht and crew. These responsibilities include weather forecasting, victualling, engine maintenance, sail selection and handling, passage planning, watch keeping, navigation and pilotage. Your instructor will teach you these skills and you will put them into practice as you skipper the yacht on short passages along the coast.You will be living aboard and helping with the running of the boat. With a different anchorage each night, pilotage techniques, boat handling skills will become second nature. You will complete at least 4 night hours sailing to experience night pilotage. You will be assessed as to your theory , sailing and seamanship skills. This is a pass or fail course and a pass is the minimum requirement for the ICC. Students who successfully complete this course are awarded the RYA Day Skipper Tidal Practical certificate.
As a skipper of a vessel, you must ensure that you are aware of any requirement for qualification before venturing into another country’s jurisdiction. If you require the ICC International Certificate of Competence PSS will assist you to complete the ICC application which will be posted to the UK and issued to you by the RYA
Course Dates for 2018:
- February 28th to March 4th 2018
- March 29th to April 2nd 2018 (Over Easter)
- April 11th to 15th 2018
- May 24th to 28th 2018
- June 21st to 25th 2018
- July 19th to 23rd 2018
- August 23rd to 27th 2018
- September 20th to 24th
- October 25th to 29th 2018
- November 22nd to 26th 2018
- December 13th to 17th 2018
Please call to book on 02 9326 2399 or email firstname.lastname@example.org