- This event has passed.
RYA Diesel Engine Maintenance
29 November, 2018 - 30 November, 2018
RYA Diesel Engine Maintenance 29th November
This course was developed by the RYA for those who know very little about mechanics. The aim is to prevent machinery breakdown at sea and to give you the confidence and knowledge to get going again.
Volunteer marine rescue groups tell us that the main reason they are called out to sail and power driven vessels is simple mechanical failure.
As a crew member on a sailing or power driven vessel, this training will extend your maritime skills and enhance your value as a member of the crew.
BY THE END OF THE DAY YOU WILL KNOW:
- How to identify the key parts of a diesel engine
- Understanding the four stroke diesel cycle
- How turbo chargers and intercoolers work
- Understanding fuel systems • How to “bleed” or “vent” diesel engines
- Understanding fresh and salt water cooling
- How pumps and impellors work
- Understanding airway systems and fault finding
- Marine electrical systems simplified
- Developing practical daily check lists
- Recommended onboard spares and tool lists
- Developing your marine engine log books
- Lubrication, winterisation and servicing
- Fault finding made easy