Terry Wise, Principal
Terry founded Pacific Sailing School in 1977 and continues to play an active role as Principal, tender driver, offshore cook and wine connoisseur. Born in Tamworth, NSW and brought up on the land, he got the sailing bug at The Southport School.
Terry represented the Army in sailing at National level, and crewed in his first Hobart on Balandra in 1975, Skippering Benanthra in 1982. Before starting the school he joined a French team breaking two world records crossing the Atlantic. He then spent several years skippering yachts in the Mediterranean and Caribbean. Terry has led over 70 sailing holidays worldwide and about 160,000 miles sailing.
Other Boating Roles
Past President J24 Association and past chairman Sailing Industry Association of NSW, and past Councillor Boating Industry Association of NSW
- With a dinghy background, Sean is the youngest skipper ever in the Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race.
- Sean has won a Sydney Hobart and five J24 National Championships. Recently Sean became National Champion with a student crew on Sailpac in January 2017, second in 2022, and first in 2023.
- Racing Rules Judge.
- Simply an all-round nice guy, a great teacher & great sailor.
RYA and AS Instructors
- Pacific Sailing School has a strong and dedicated team of Royal Yachting Association (RYA) and Australian Sailing Instructors (AS).
- RYA Cruising Instructors deliver Competent Crew to the Yacht Master practical and theory and Yacht master Preparation courses for the RYA Exams.
- The majority of these Instructors have spent many many years ocean racing and just love sharing their passion.
Our RYA Chief Instructor. Ian is a RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Instructor, alongside teaching on our J24’s and bigger boats during race season. He can also be found in the classroom teaching our shorebased courses, or assessing for the ICC.
Our Senior AS Chief Instructor, here with some of our students. Gardo is an RYA Yachtmaster with an extensive sailing background and has competed in most races here in Australia and overseas. He is also the face on the cover of Australian Sailing Introductory Keel Boat text book, and for a VB (or 2) will autograph your copy.
- RYA Yachtmaster Instructor, ICC assessor practical and theory Instructor
- A wealth of knowledge with over 30 Sydney Hobart Races most on his own boat, winner of 3 winter series in a row.
- Can’t catch fish and Terry is coaching him to improve his starts.
- RYA Yachtmaster Instructors
- Lisa is the first woman on this planet to sail around Antarctica and Australia – non-stop, single handed and unassisted.
- Lisa’s book Facing Fear was released in November 2020 and the feature length documentary Ice Maiden, showcasing her perseverance and determination is due for release in 2021.
- Lisa is attempting to sail around Antarctica again later this year.
- 360 Degree Sponsorship Package – Set Sail for 1 degree (60 nautical miles – at 10 knots boatspeed you are on board for 6 hours sailing around the Antartic.)
- Sarah – on the right (with Terry and Lisa) is our Sailing Advisor.
- In office Tuesday to Saturday.
- Anchor at PSS.
David is a RYA Yachtmaster and Senior Keelboat Instructor and big power boat coach. With as many years and miles as Terry, Peter, Damien. A Prize for picking the youngest as they were all born in the same year.
- Wendy is an RYA Yachtmaster Instructor and examiner.
- Wendy discovered sailing in her late 20’s but that didn’t stop her from competing and making a career out of her chosen passion.
- She has raced around the world twice, becoming the first female skipper to win any round the world race.
- She has competed in 13 Sydney to Hobart races and has about 200,000 sea miles under her belt.