Terry Wise, Principal
Terry founded Pacific Sailing School in 1977 and continues to play an active role as Principal, tender driver, offshore cook and wine connoisseur. Born in Tamworth, NSW and brought up on the land, he got the sailing bug at The Southport School.
Terry represented the Army in sailing at National level, and crewed in his first Hobart on Balandra in 1975, Skippering Benanthra in 1982. Before starting the school he joined a French team breaking two world records crossing the Atlantic. He then spent several years skippering yachts in the Mediterranean and Caribbean. Terry has led over 70 sailing holidays worldwide and about 160,000 miles sailing.
Other Boating Roles
Past President J24 Association and Chairman Sailing Industry Association of NSW, currently Councillor Boating Industry Association of NSW
- With a dinghy background, Sean is the youngest skipper ever in the Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race.
- Sean has won a Sydney Hobart and five J24 National Championships. Recently Sean became National Champion with a student crew on Sailpac in January 2017.
- Racing Rules Judge.
- Simply an all round nice guy, great teacher & great sailor.
RYA and AS Instructors
- Pacific Sailing School has a strong and dedicated team of Royal Yachting Association (RYA) and Australian Sailing Instructors (AS).
- RYA Cruising Instructors deliver Competent Crew to the Yacht Master practical and theory and Yacht master Preparation courses for the RYA Exams.
- The majority of these Instructors have spent many many years ocean racing and just love sharing their passion.
Our RYA Chief Instructor. Ian is a RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Instructor, alongside teaching on our J24’s and bigger boats during race season. He can also be found in the classroom teaching our shorebased courses, or assessing for the ICC.
Peter Bruen has over 150, 000 miles offshore, teaches Radio, SSSC & RYA Day Skipper and Coastal Skipper shore based theory courses. When is is not teaching he is usually delivering a boat somewhere.
Our Senior AS Chief Instructor, here with some of our students. Gardo is an RYA Yachtmaster with an extensive sailing background and has competed in most races here in Australia and overseas. He is also the face on the cover of Australian Sailing Introductory Keel Boat text book, and for a VB (or 2) will autograph your copy.
As Senior Keelboat Instructor and past dinghy World Champion. Say no more!
- RYA Yachtmaster Instructor, ICC assessor practical and theory Instructor
- A wealth of knowledge with over 30 Sydney Hobart Races most on his own boat, winner of 3 winter series in a row.
- Cant catch fish and Terry is coaching him to improve his starts.
- Lisa, here with John is one of our RYA Yachtmaster Instructors.
- Lisa is the first woman on this planet to sail around Antarctica and attempting Australia – non-stop, single handed and unassisted. Lisa is back to do a 5 day in February 2019.
- Sarah – on the right (with Terry and Lisa) is our Sailing Advisor.
- In office Tuesday to Saturday.
- Anchor at PSS.
- Sailing Advisor on Sunday, Monday and part-time Tuesdays and Fridays.
- Extensive family background in sailing.
David is a RYA Yachtmaster and Senior Keelboat Instructor and big power boat coach. With as many years and miles as Terry, Peter, Damien. A Prize for picking the youngest as they were all born in the same year.
AS Keelboat Instructor and usually presents at our theory and social evenings . Tim completed his first Hobart with Damien on Duende last year.
Here with one of our students, Lucas is our Keelboat Instructor from Argentina. Graduated as a Lawyer and is here to work for 1 year. Lots of lovely Spanish speaking people lately!
Louise is our Keelboat Instructor from France.
Will is our AS Instructor from England. He has been sailing since the young age of 5 in much smaller boats up to much bigger 60ft racers all around the world from rainy England to sunny Dubai. Representing London at the NNSA for 3 years running.