RYA Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Shorebased Course
- BOOK THE RYA COASTAL SKIPPER / YACHTMASTER OFFSHORE VIRTUAL THEORY COURSE AND A RYA 5 DAY PRACTICAL - RECEIVE A $200 DISCOUNT ON THE THEORY (NOW ONLY $1090) AND A 10% DISCOUNT IS OFFERED ON THE PRACTICAL!
- 45 hours Part Time or full time
Recommended Previous Experience:
- Knowledge equivalent to the shore based Day Skipper Course
- Navigation to Day Skipper standard and practical experience
Ability after course:
- Understands the principles of navigating for coastal and offshore passages
- Navigation, meteorology, collision avoidance, safety and passage planning
Please note: During this time, our virtual RYA Yachtmaster courses and exams are conducted via video – the certificate will be issued un-invigilated. For most people this will not matter but for those wishing to move up the RYA/MCA qualification commercial ladder, it means the course is invalid.
If you are requiring a course which meets the requirement, we request that you book one of our face to face courses as soon as they become available.
The RYA Coastal Skipper /Yachtmaster theory course is an advanced course that builds on the knowledge gained on the Day Skipper shore based course. It is aimed at yachties and motor boaters who are looking to undertake more complex passages perhaps offshore or at night.
This course is a must for those looking to work towards taking the RYA Yacht Master Skipper or Yacht Master Offshore practical exams. It is an intensive course covering advanced navigation techniques including – position fixing, course shaping and plotting, tidal knowledge including secondary port calculations, navigation in restricted visibility, Admiralty publications and electronic position finding equipment. Meteorology includes getting and the interpretation of forecasts, the plotting of weather systems and weather prediction.
We will learn to use the information when planning and executing passage plans. The International Regulations for Prevention of Collision at Sea are covered in detail and we will also learn more about yacht stability and safety offshore.
It is strongly recommended that students have a good grasp of theory subjects to Day Skipper standard and have a good knowledge of the collision regulations before attending.
On this course students will sit three exams and will be awarded the RYA Coastal Skipper/Yacht Master Offshore Shore based Certificate.